Content of this article:
Without garden paths in the country anywhere, and the inhabitants sooner or later trampled narrow paths to the toilet, to the garden, to the barbecue. Only the quality of these paths will be much worse than any hand-made ones. They:
- quickly overgrown with grass - after a long winter absence, it is necessary to return to the country, and you will find that the trails are no longer found in the green undergrowth;
- eroded by rains - it is worth the weather to spoil, and instead of the tracks you will have grooves filled with water that you cannot walk.
Hand-made garden paths
Even with a small budget to make comfortable tracks necessary. There are many ways to do this.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: Modern Landscape Design courtyard of a private house (160+ Photos). How to beautifully arrange and decorate their own handsreturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
As the name implies, this group includes tracks from materials that are poured on the ground. There are two such materials, each with its own pros and cons.return to menu ↑
It is cheap, you can find it at all for free. Its advantages are as follows:
- No drainage. Gravel perfectly passes water, it is not necessary to worry that paths will turn into streams, it is worth going to a rain.
- Lack of care. Gravel differs in reliability and durability. It does not need to be processed, it is not afraid of water, temperature changes, pests. It can rain, but if something spills on it, it is enough to mix it.
- Easy repair. If something happens to the gravel path - for example, it settles - it is enough to pour a new gravel so that it starts to look as good as at the moment of laying.
- Easy installation. Any material like tile should be laid out to make it look beautiful. Gravel is just enough to pour.
- The quirkiness of the forms. With the help of gravel you can make a path of any shape.
- Roughness. Even if it rains, it's difficult to slip on a gravel path.
With the help of gravel you can make a path of any shape.
But to them, of course, the disadvantages are attached:
- Monotony. The gravel is mostly gray, which is a rather dull color. We'll have to invent something to make it look more interesting.
- Inconvenience of walking. The gravel is sharp. If you step on it barefoot, the feeling will not be pleasant - and in light summer slippers it can also be uncomfortable.
- Processing difficulties. Gravel - bulk material. If you do not cultivate the land under it from the seeds, by spring the grass will sprout through it. Sometimes it can be part of the design, but more often annoying and looks inappropriate.
Gravel in landscape designreturn to menu ↑
The material is original and natural. If you drown in the country with firewood, problems in order to get it, should not arise.
Its advantages are as follows:
- Naturalness. In the depths of the green garden, this path will look nice.
- Easy installation and repair. Pouring the bark on the ground is easy, and pouring a new one if something happens to the old one is even easier.
- No need to cook the ground. Drainage of the cortex is not needed, it allows moisture to pass. And there is no need to remove weeds under it - it perfectly blocks their growth.
- Soil enrichment. The tree is gradually rotting, causing the soil to become more fertile - perhaps in a couple of years you will be able to plant a whole path of flowers that will decorate your garden.
Cheap and beautiful - tracks from the bark
But there are also disadvantages:
- Short life. The tree rots from moisture, it is eaten by pests. One year later, when the winter passes and the snow comes down, the tracks from the bark will have to be laid out anew.
- Difficulty finding the right bark. It should not be too small, otherwise it will quickly become unusable, not too thick, otherwise it will be uncomfortable to walk. The bark of resinous trees will not work - it will be constantly glued to shoes.
Pick materials to look beautiful.
It will be interesting to you:OVERVIEW: Do-it-yourself garden variations (245+ Photos) - How to turn into a real decoration? (wooden, metal, polycarbonate)return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
If you love naturalness, you will definitely like one of these solutions.return to menu ↑
Strangely enough it sounds, but no one will prevent you from planting grass for lawns on the paths. It has its advantages:
- beauty. If you like ethnic styles or eco style, you will like the paths of lush green grass too. They look nice, unusual, attract the eye.
- Simplicity. Under the grass does not need not that drainage - even the base. It is enough just to dig up the ground, how to dig up the beds, and sow the seeds into it.
- Coolness and atmosphere. The grass does not heat up like other paths, and in the summer the area is not as hot. In addition, it produces additional oxygen - even if it is not very noticeable to a person, it still affects.
The choice for the tracks is very diverse
Also included are cons:
- Problems with care. If you can simply forget about most of the garden paths by putting them, then this will not work with grass. It needs to be cut, so that it does not grow, you need to water it so that it does not sluggish.
- Short life. The grass needs to be sown again every year, because it is mostly one-year old.
Consider the subtleties of choice and stylingreturn to menu ↑
The material is beautiful, noble and cheap, if you do not need expensive varieties or if you know where to get it.
Its advantages are as follows:
- beauty. Even the slightly darkened tracks remain beautiful, to say nothing of those that have just been laid.
- Convenience. It's nice to walk on a tree, that barefoot, that in shoes.
The downsides, however, are somewhat larger:
- Processing difficulties. For a tree to serve for a long time, it must be pretreated with compounds from pests, moisture, and temperature changes. And repeat this procedure every year.
- Relative fragility. Even with regular treatments, wooden walkways do not last more than ten years - constant contact with the ground does not benefit them.
- The complexity of care. To make the tree look good, you need to wash it from time to time.
Do not forget to use sand as a pillow
There is no need to treat the weeds under the tree, but you need to think about the drainage and either leave gaps or make a special outflow of water.
You can put a tree on the ground in different ways - the effect will vary.
- Cuts. Perhaps the simplest solution is that if you use firewood or if you have long had time to cut something on the plot, then it is enough just to cut five inches from the trunk of round dies. Then they are laid out on a pillow of sand and look like a round wooden tile - in its own way interesting, original.
- Dice. Approximately the same, but you need to cut not the trunk, but the boards, so that you get rectangles of the same size. They can be used instead of tiles, laying them out of geometric patterns. It looks curious due to the fact that no one dice will repeat the other - everyone will have a unique color, unique veins.
- Boards. A simple solution, but beautiful. Boards are simply laid out in the path and its only drawback is that it can be either straight or curved under strict geometric angles.
Can easily be made by yourselfBoardIf you have access to a cheap tree - such paths will suit you. But it is not worth spending money for them, they have more minuses than advantages. Return to the menu
This stone, which can be found throughout the land in huge quantities. Of course, you will not have a beautiful tile out of it, but the fragments can also look very nice.
Natural material paths
Its advantages are as follows:
- Absolute reliability. The stone is not afraid of water, wind, insects, rodents, temperature drops, mechanical damage - by and large, it is not afraid of anything at all and can lie in place for centuries.
- beauty. The stone is beautiful in its own way - with strict, low-key beauty. It is suitable for lovers of minimalism, Buddhist philosophy and people who do not pursue catchiness.
- Room for fantasy. Pieces of arbitrary shape can be difficult to lay out so that it looks good. The greater the pleasure when the result is obtained.
- Lack of care. Stone washes rain, and the sun dries. And if you spill something on it, you can always use even aggressive chemistry.
Stone is not afraid of wind, rain or sun
The minuses of the stone is not too much:
- Heaviness. Even under the fragments, you will have to lay a decent layer of auxiliary material, otherwise the path will simply go to the ground very quickly.
- Texture. If you choose a smooth stone, then in the rain it will be slippery.
- Monotony. The colors of the stone are muffled, plus there are not very many of them. If you like bright colors, then finding something suitable among them can be difficult.
The color of the stone is mostly muffled.
Natural materials look good in all styles - although they have nothing to do next to an ultra-modern high-tech home, for example.
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: Do-it-yourself flower decoration and flowerbeds - 210+ (Photo) Original and beautiful designsreturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
If natural materials are good because they are natural and what they look like, then artificial materials have different advantages.return to menu ↑
He has this:
- Price. Among cheap materials, it is almost the cheapest.
- Simplicity. Concrete is discreet and can be completely lost in the garden.
- Reliability. Not afraid of moisture, temperature changes, insects. It will not crack if you drop something heavy on it or try to transport it.
Concrete looks discreet and easy
Its disadvantages are mainly related to the pouring process:
- Manufacturing difficulty. It will be difficult to pour the concrete path for a person who has never done it the first time - after all, you need to prepare the foundation, make the curb, mix it up correctly ...
- The difficulty of repair. If the concrete cracks, it will have to be replaced entirely.
- Dull look. Concrete is mostly gray; you can only diversify it if you use additional materials for decoration.
Concrete difficult to repairreturn to menu ↑
The tile from plastic is issued for a long time and practically costs nothing. Make it of polyvinyl chloride, give different forms.
Its advantages are as follows:
- Diversity. The plastic tile happens different flowers, different texture. You can choose from it endlessly.
- Easy installation. The process of laying a plastic tile track is similar to the process of laying a mosaic. One element is laid, another clings to it, and so on until the whole path is completed.
- Texture. Plastic tiles are specially made so that even when it rains, it cannot slip on it.
- Drainage. As a rule, special holes are made in the tile to drain the water.
Plastic tile for tracks
Plastic is not afraid of moisture, temperature changes, does not suffer from insects. It is not necessary to care for it especially, it is enough to throw it with water from a hose.
But he also has flaws:
- Simplicity. Plastic tile looks at its price and not at every cottage it will turn out to fit into the overall concept.
- Short life. Despite the fact that the plastic is not afraid of anything, over time it is weary and becomes useless. It takes about five years.
- Loss of color. If the path is located in the sun, with time it will fade and become faded.
Imitating wood plastic
It will be interesting to you:REVIEW: A catalog of flowers for giving (240 + Photos with names): All the rules for creating incredible beautyreturn to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
In addition to the materials that need to be bought, albeit inexpensively, or to get through friends, there are also materials that you most likely already have on the farm.return to menu ↑
If you have a car, then it should be a lot of worn tires. Therefore, they can be usefully applied.
The advantages of this solution are as follows:
- Saving. To give a second life to an already served thing is always a pleasure.
- Texture. Rubber rough to the touch, it does not slip even in the rain.
- Reliability. Rubber wear for a long time - it is not afraid of moisture, temperature drops, pests.
- Simple repair. If part of the track fails, it can be easily replaced.
Cobblestone paving in the garden
He has, of course, disadvantages:
- Difficulties with styling. To put the tires, you need to make a base for them, provide drainage, manually cut each tire ... It will take time.
- Dull look. All tires are black, color does not happen. Therefore, the paths in the garden will be black, which is not particularly interesting or beautiful.
If you are used to drinking lemonade or mineral water, the bottles can not be thrown away, but adapted as a material for the track. The advantages are as follows:
- Reliability. Plastic, from which the bottles are made, is not afraid of anything. He can only bend a little over the years of operation, but certainly not rot.
- Durability. A plastic bottle decay takes several decades. It is harmful to nature, but for a person who has decided to make a path out of bottles for himself, it is useful - they will serve for a very long time.
- Massage effect. Walking on the protruding bottoms of bottles is useful for the prevention of flatfoot.
- Easy repair and maintenance. If one of the bottles becomes heavily ruined, it can be replaced. And you don’t have to wash them at all unless you have shed something soiled.
A bit of fantasy and get an interesting option.
And, accordingly, the disadvantages:
- Laying complexity. Each bottle must be filled with sand and rubble, each must be manually buried - this takes time and effort.
- Dull look. Bottles look good on their price - that is, cheap. To give them a beautiful view, will have to try.
The technology of making the bottle track is very simple.Sand and crushed stone is poured into each bottle for weight. Then the bottles dig into the ground where the path will be, bottom up, at a short distance from each other. From above, it is either poured with sand, or poured with concrete to form a relatively flat surface.
Mini tracks - beautiful and creativeBoardTo make the bottles more interesting, you can fill them with colored sand.
Third - bottle caps. They have the following advantages:
- Reliability. Like any plastic, they do not suffer from water, heat, cold or pests.
- Durability. Like plastic bottles decompose over decades.
- Brightness. With the help of covers you can lay out paintings or patterns that will look interesting and original.
Plastic lid option
There are also disadvantages:
- Laying complexity. You will have to make an effort to lay out at least something from the covers - this process is like picking up a mosaic and can take several days or even weeks.
- Difficulty of preparation. It is necessary not only to prepare the sand base, but also to put concrete on it, into which the covers will be inserted.And it should be done consistently, gradually, but more than fifty centimeters should be poured at a time, otherwise the concrete will dry before you have time to put something.
This method of laying out is rather troublesome.BoardUnder the plastic covers it is good to single out one path along which very few people walk and from which it is possible not to rush. Then laying it will be a creative process and relaxation, not at all like in a hurry.
It will be interesting to you:OVERVIEW: Paths in the country from paving slabs - Design a beautiful courtyard (120+ Photos)return to menu ↑ return to menu ↑
In addition to materials, it is also worth mentioning the rules by which footpaths are generally laid:
- Convenience. The path should be comfortable to walk and this is much more important than how it looks from the side. Therefore, the best way to determine where it should be is to allow the inhabitants of the site to trample the tracks on it, and then fill it up or pour them over.
- Tortuosity. The paths should not be straight - if you, of course, do not want to do something like an English park. They should fancifully. So they look much more beautiful.
- Width. There should not be less than seventy centimeters, otherwise even two people will not be able to disperse on the track, and of course nothing will pass through it.
- Location The paths should be located not less than one and a half meters from the nearest trees - or the branches should be neatly tied up so that it is convenient to pass under them.
- Curbs. It is not necessary at all - paths from grass or wood can do without them. But for bulk materials they are required. Otherwise, all the gravel or all the bark will quickly spread around the garden.
- Piling. It is better to lay tracks in the fall, shortly before the onset of the rains. Such a strange timing is due to the fact that over the winter the path will shrink and will be more suitable for walking. But this rule does not apply to bark and grass.
- Texture. If elderly people live on the plot, you should pay special attention to the texture of the tracks. They should not be allowed to slip.
DIY garden mosaic